Mold Symptoms

3866
Photo by satemkemet

Do you have one or more of these black mold related symptoms? Find out below how these symptoms are caused by black mold.

Cough

A chronic dry cough with little or no phlegm is one of the most common symptoms of black mold exposure.

When there is black mold growing inside your home environment, the mold spores projected into the air can enter your respiratory tract through your nose and take up residence in the humid environment of your lungs. Once in your lungs the black mold produces mycotoxins, which irritate the lining of the lungs and bronchial tree and produce an inflammatory response that causes a chronic nonproductive cough.

If black mold is growing in your bedroom or a bathroom, closet, or hallway that is directly connected to your bedroom, then the cough will tend to be worse at night and in the morning due to the nighttime exposure to the mold spores repeatedly irritating the lining of the respiratory tract. Even if the door that connects the moldy area adjacent to the bedroom is closed, the toxic black mold spores can still pass through the spaces that separate the door from the floor and ceiling and be inhaled during the night.

So, if you have had a cough that persists for over a month and is worse at night and upon waking, then you should check your bedroom and all adjacent areas very thoroughly for black mold growth.

Headache

Persistent headaches or migraines that may or may not be accompanied by nausea are very often a telltale symptom of mold-induced sinusitis, which according to a recent Mayo Clinic study is the cause of 93% of sinusitis cases in the US.

When black mold spores are projected into the air by mold colonies growing on walls and other indoor surfaces, they can be inhaled through the nose and enter your sinuses through the nasal passages. The sinuses are 4 types of cave-like structures inside of the skull, which due to their humidity are the perfect environment for molds to settle in.

The frontal sinuses are located in the forehead and are the pair of sinuses most easily accessed by airborne mold spores entering the nose. When they become colonized by black mold, the mycotoxins produced by the mold cause an inflammatory reaction that leads to a swelling of the frontal sinuses. This increased pressure in the forehead region produces a headache that is felt above the eyes, in between the eyebrows, or in the temples.

If the maxillary sinuses become colonized by inhaled mold spores, you get what would typically be called a ?sinus headache? with pressure and discomfort below the eyes and on either side of the nose.

When toxic mold spores settle in the deeper sinuses known as the ethmoidal and sphenoidal sinuses that are set back behind the eyes in the center of the skull, you will tend to experience a headache behind the eyes or in the top or back of the head.

Nausea

These different types of sinusitis headaches are all very common symptoms of black mold toxicity and are often accompanied by nausea due to the toxic mold in the sinuses releasing mycotoxins that drain into the throat and are swallowed with saliva into the stomach. Once these mycotoxins reach the digestive tract they can cause an irritation of the lining of the stomach and small intestine leading to poor appetite and nausea.

Dizziness

The other symptom of black mold poisoning that can often accompany mold sinusitis is dizziness, which is caused by toxic mold colonizing the auditory tube between the throat and the ear, which leads to inflammation in the middle ear and inner ear. ?The inner ear is responsible for maintaining balance so even the slightest amount of inflammation due to the presence of black mold in the auditory canal can cause severe dizziness.

Brain Fog

Reduced mental function or ?brain fog? is one of the most common symptoms caused by toxic black mold.

It occurs because the mycotoxins produced by black mold are highly toxic to the brain and can disrupt brain function in many ways interfering with the activity of neurotransmitters (molecules that transmit brain signals).?? This altered brain function can manifest as reduced cognitive function, mood alteration, and neurological symptoms such as tingling in the extremities, muscle weakness, and even seizures.

The reduction in mental function caused by neurotoxins produced by black mold ?leads to symptoms such as generalized brain fog, inability to think clearly, poor memory, poor concentration, blank moments, absentmindedness, poor word retrieval, word confusion, and sleepiness. You tend to forget the names of people you know well, walk into a room and forget why, lose things easily, read the same page over and over without being able to take in anything, have difficulty completing tasks, and feel mentally exhausted all the time. To make matters worse, this reduced mental function is often accompanied by the psychological symptoms of black mold neurotoxicity such as irritability, despair, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and mood swings.

But how is it that black mold growing on a wall can so drastically affect brain function that it produces all these different types of psychological and cognitive symptoms? The black mold spores are projected into the air by the mold colony growing on a surface usually in the bedroom or adjacent areas like the closet or bathroom and are inhaled typically at night while sleeping.

Once inhaled, the black mold spores take up residence in the nose, sinuses, and/or lungs and produce mycotoxins, which are absorbed into the blood and can cross the blood-brain barrier to reach the brain. When these mycotoxins reach the brain, they immediately begin to disrupt neurological function causing brain fog often accompanied by some of the other neurological symptoms of black mold exposure such as numbness and tingling.

Numbness/Tingling

Experiencing numbness and/or tingling in the fingers, hands, arms, toes, feet, and/or legs, known as paresthesia or neuropathy, is one of the telltale symptoms of black mold exposure due to the neurotoxic effect of the mold mycotoxins on the nerves.

The paresthesias feel like your foot is asleep from crossing your legs too long, except for the fact that they occur without any reason and last for much longer than a few minutes lasting up to hours at a time or even becoming constant. These paresthesias can feel like tingling, numbness, stinging pins, or like electrical impulses moving through the extremity.

The reason this occurs is because black mold spores are inhaled from the indoor air of an environment with mold growth and these spores give rise to colonies of mold inside of the respiratory tract that produce mycotoxins. The mycotoxins are absorbed into the blood stream and can damage the peripheral sensory nerves causing the sensation of ants crawling inside the limb.

If the black mold exposure is more severe, the tingling can also be accompanied by muscle weakness as the mold mycotoxins begin to disrupt the motor nerve function as well.

7 COMMENTS

  1. Charla I am so sorry that you and your son are suffering from the symptoms associated with toxic mold exposure. My advice to you and your son would be to move to a home that is free of mold. It will take time for it to clear out of your system. There is some damage that cannot be reversed, but most complications from the mold will begin to subside with time. Best wishes to you and your son.

  2. Black mold can also cause urinary problems as well. You might find yourself with symptoms of a urinary tract infection. You might also have problems urinating. Some people urinate more frequently and feel thirsty all the time. All of these things could be attributed to black mold.

  3. Go to Survivingmold.com Dr Ritchie Shoemaker has a protocol to follow to test and treat biotoxin illness if you are affected by mold you likely have what is called CIRS chronic inflammatory response syndrome Dr. Shoemaker suggest cholestyramine is a binding agent to remove the mold from your body good luck I’m going through the same thing . The first step is to remove yourself from the exposure.

  4. I just spent two days in ICU. Passed out and was paralyzed. Doctors don’t know what problem was. The night before I picked up my truck that had been sitting for two years and was covered inside with mold. I stupidity fired it up and drove it for a hour with heater on and windows closed. I thought I was dying.

  5. I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my feet. I moved to this apt. over ten yrs. ago, then suddenly I got this foot odour that won’t go away. Sometimes I see these black spots all over the tub. So now I’m thinking that’s the problem. I never had this problem prior to moving here. It interferes with work also. How can I deal with the odour problem?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here